Announcement: ES3.1 renamed to ES5

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Mon Mar 30 14:42:02 PDT 2009

I don't want to jump the gun, steal anyone's thunder, nor mix
metaphors, but to avoid confusion in some posts I'm about to make, I
thought I'd go ahead and announce this now:

At the recent EcmaScript meeting, we decided to renumber EcmaScript
3.1 to become EcmaScript 5. The EcmaScript 3.1 draft standard, once
the process is finished, will thus become official as the Fifth
Edition. ES4 will continue to be a valid designator for the old
proposal with namespaces, etc (currently at
<http://www.ecmascript.org/es4/spec/overview.pdf> and
<http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=spec:spec>). The general
expectation is that ES-Harmony will become ES6, i.e., the Sixth
Edition.

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM