Exactly where is a RegularExpressionLiteral allowed?

Allen Wirfs-Brock Allen.Wirfs-Brock at microsoft.com
Tue Mar 24 10:08:47 PDT 2009

OK, let's try to wrap up this issues.

In addition to adding RegularExpressionLiteral to Literal, do we also agree to delete the third paragraph of section 7 that says:

Note that contexts exist in the syntactic grammar where both a division and a RegularExpressionLiteral are permitted by the syntactic grammar; however, since the lexical grammar uses the InputElementDiv goal symbol in such cases, the opening slash is not recognised as starting a regular expression literal in such a context. As a workaround, one may enclose the regular expression literal in parentheses.

The second paragraph says: "The InputElementDiv symbol is used in those syntactic grammar contexts where a division (/) or division-assignment (/=) operator is permitted."
Should we insert the work "initial" (or "leading") immediately in front of "division" to clarify where such contexts occur?

Allen