ES3.1 questions and issues

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Wed Mar 18 21:21:53 PDT 2009

On Mar 18, 2009, at 11:58 AM, Tobie Langel wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2009, at 17:20 , Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:
>
>> Would it be useful if there was a way to determine whether nor not
>> a function was "built-in"?
>
> That would be useful outside of the security concerns expressed by
> Mark. I'm thinking about performance and robustness concerns in JS
> libraries, for example.

Can you give an example?

We're self-hosting native methods that are called built-in by the spec
in TraceMonkey, and I know V8 original self-hosted some Array and
String methods. With the right isolation to avoid violating the spec,
this is a good thing and it should not be prohibited.

Self-hosting built-ins also should not be the subject of second-
guessing versionitis in JS libraries. Shades of coding C idioms for
the microarchitecture of certain revisions of the x86!