ES3.1 questions and issues

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Wed Mar 18 12:54:31 PDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 12:41 PM, John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org> wrote:
> All you need to do now is put the above disclaimer in ALL CAPS and add
> it to each function and method in the standard.
>
> It is not, after all, actually *specified* anywhere that the result of
> evaluating 3 + 4 cannot have the side effect of setting the global
> variable "Ludolf" to 3.141592653.

If your point is that no disclaimer text is needed here at all, as I
stated earlier, I would be happy with that. However, the implication
would be conformance to the algorithmic spec as written, which Allen
objects to as overspecifying. A blanket "anything may happen"
disclaimer as in the current draft spec fatally underspecifies.
Allen's text here is a nice compromise.

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM