ES3.1 questions and issues

Mark Miller erights at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 21:39:47 PDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Allen Wirfs-Brock
<Allen.Wirfs-Brock at microsoft.com> wrote:
>>* For the identifiers we are already confident will become keywords as
>>of ES-Harmony -- "const" and "let", perhaps "yield" and "lambda" --
>>would it make sense to make these keywords now in strict code?
>>

> "The best laid plans of mice and men..."  I'm not a big fan of this approach.  Just look at how much mileage we've gotten out of the future reserved words :-)

Actually, if we look at the list in 7.5.3, at the present time, I
would guess that

    export interface class const import public

will be used by Harmony. Hedging bets, I remain glad that

    abstract static extends super final native package implements

are reserved as well. The remainder

    boolean long byte synchronized
    char float  throws goto private transient
    protected volatile double enum  int  short

I am less keen on. But neither has their reservation been terribly
costly. In my judgment, the mileage of the future reserved words
approach has been worth its minor cost. YMMV!

    Cheers,
    --MarkM