Object.prototype.inspect ?

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Thu Mar 12 13:19:40 PDT 2009

On Mar 12, 2009, at 12:49 PM, Garrett Smith wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 9:57 AM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com>
> wrote:
>> If you mean that overriding or shadowing by assignment makes an
>> enumerable
>> property, even for a method that should not be enumerated, then
>> ES3.1's
>> Object.defineProperty allows binding a non-enumerable property.
>>
>> But I still can't tell what your point is. It seems to be unrelated
>> to my
>
> The point is to get the terminology correct.
>
> The term "override" is ambiguous here. It does not differentiate
> "replace X value" with "shadow X in prototype chain".

Point taken, but you really were interjecting this distinction without
a difference into a direct question from me to Tobie about where in
the (updated before I read it, but after Tobie read it)
developer.mozilla.org wiki-page Tobie had seen a warning about
toSource being used internally.

Which made me wonder what your point was, other than pointing out a
difference between shadowing and replacing that was not relevant. Yes,
I know all about the distinction. Yes, I know assignment makes an
enumerable property, this is considered harmful, etc. etc. I think
everyone participating on es-discuss knows these things.

I don't take personal offense, but I do think this is a waste of
everyone's time on the list. Can we move on now?