Object.prototype.inspect ?

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Wed Mar 11 13:32:24 PDT 2009

On Mar 11, 2009, at 1:22 PM, Tobie Langel wrote:

> On Mar 11, 2009, at 18:57 , Brendan Eich wrote:
>
>> But I still can't tell what your point is. It seems to be unrelated
>> to my question asking Tobie what the problem with overriding
>> toSource (as opposed to toString, and without dragging in any
>> unrelated problem in common to do with enumerability, which is
>> irrelevant!) might be.
>
> Now that the question of the "overrideability" of toSource has been
> cleared out, it still remains that it isn't specified :(

That's right. It was rejected during ES3 after I made a brief pitch.
Rok Yu of Microsoft in particular was convinced that serialization is
domain-specific and there's no point in a 90% solution (I'm
paraphrasing from memory).

Code is spec and there are bugs in all code (and in all specs), but
this does not mean it can't be standardized. Since you are asking for
something new, someone is going to have to do work. Want to help?

Your idea for a DOM node giving its representation as HTML or XML
reminds me of E4X. SpiderMonkey can already pretty-print XML data as
markup source.