Object.prototype.inspect ?

Tobie Langel tobie.langel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 04:20:16 PDT 2009

It is very useful to be able to specify the debugging representation
of an object distinctively from it's toJSON or toString representation.

We've been using that to great effect in Prototype, to help out, for
example, with the debugging representation of DOM Elements:

is a much more useful representation than:

     [object HTMLDivElement]

which you get in Safari/Firefox/Chrome or worse:

     [object Object]

which you get in IE.

Indeed, Object.prototype.toSource seems closer to what I was
interested in. Unfortunately, it's

1) non standardized, and
2) apparently used internally by FF[1].

To be useful for debugging, such a method needs to provide a good
default value and be easily overridden for custom objects. I wouldn't
be too keen on overriding a method which the browser vendor claims to
use internally.

Best,

Tobie

[1] https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Reference/Global_Objects/Object/toSource