arguments.callee and strict mode

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Tue Mar 10 17:52:12 PDT 2009

On Mar 10, 2009, at 5:40 PM, Erik Arvidsson wrote:

> We use arguments.callee.caller in a few places to get a call stack and
> we rely on this feature to be able to analyze errors in production.
>
> Spidermonkey has a stack property on the error object so we are ok in
> Firefox. Until all js engines have this (or some equivalent feature) I
> don't think we can stop using arguments.callee :'(
>
> Didn't we already cover this? I feel like we are going around in
> circles.

https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2008-September/007475.html

Life is a karmic wheel, you can only hope to go up instead of down on
the next half-cycle.

Seriously, you're not going to get joy in ES3.1 strict mode on
arguments.callee or the caller property of Function objects, which
isn't even in ES3. Stack backtracing in some form is on the Harmony
agenda. We should try to hash out the requirements.

https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2008-March/005776.html
https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2008-September/007497.html
http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=proposals:stack_inspection