arguments.callee and strict mode

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Tue Mar 10 11:11:47 PDT 2009

On Mar 10, 2009, at 11:08 AM, Tobie Langel wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2009, at 18:26 , Brendan Eich wrote:
>> Before giving callee the boot, has anyone interacted with Ajax
>> library authors? Here (excluding lines longer than 256) are uses of
>> callee in Dojo, Ext, JQuery, MochiKit, and Prototype:
>
> We've completely removed uses of arguments callee from the upcoming
> release of Prototype, favoring named functions instead.

Yes, thanks -- I remember you pointed this out previously.

My `find | xargs grep` hit many more callee uses in the other
libraries whose source I track.

Named function expressions and definitions are better, no question
(now that ES3.1 adopts the de-facto fix pioneered by Opera of not
binding a named function expression's name in an Object instance
created as if by "new Object"). I pointed to the numerous uses of
callee to ask whether other Ajax library authors are on board. Many
read this list.