Why decimal?

Mark Miller erights at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 13:46:40 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 12:43 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:

> On Jun 24, 2009, at 12:37 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:
>
>  So let's say ES6 is Harmony.
>>

> Last message from me on this topic today, I promise.

Aha! Carte blanche to have the last word of the day! Better seize while it's
hot.
Just kidding ;)

> I wanted to encourage the use of "Harmony" for what's next, over against
> "ES6". The ES3.1 -> ES5 experience, and of course many software release
> renumbering adventures from our collective professional and open source
> lives, teach us to avoid burning numbers in SiO2 prematurely. Ecma wants
> whole edition numbers, ISO tracks those. There could be a reason to do a
> fast ES6 that is not "Harmony".
>
> So don't early-bind to ES6 :-P.

As I think Allen first suggested (please correct if I misattribute or
misconstrue), I have been using "Harmony" to label the trajectory that the
Harmony agreement set us on. I have been using "ES6" to name whatever the
next concrete spec edition will be that emerges from our agreed trajectory.
No matter how fast or slow ES6 is, many of the things currently hoped for
under the Harmony banner will not make it into the next concrete edition.

--

   Cheers,
   --MarkM