Why decimal?

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Wed Jun 24 12:37:45 PDT 2009

On Jun 24, 2009, at 12:13 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:

> On Jun 24, 2009, at 12:08 PM, Christian Plesner Hansen wrote:
>
>> I am just as unsure of how to read that.  Does "at this point" mean
>> that it's off the table altogether for harmony or only that it's been
>> postponed until later in the process?
>
> Why do you want a for-all-time declaration from me?

Sorry, I overreacted and changed timeframe from your "harmony" to "all-
time".

For Harmony, which is also ill-defined but may mean exactly ES6, I
would be surprised if we both standardize value types and see a
decimal library become so popular it merits inclusion in the core
language.

If Harmony [Middle English armonie, from Old French, from Latin
harmonia, from Greek harmoniā, articulation, agreement, harmony, from
harmos, joint.] extends beyond ES6 in some way we should rename it.

Of course we hope that the committee will operate harmoniously for a
good long time, but we have other musical tropes to abuse ;-).

So let's say ES6 is Harmony. Once again I do not wish to "ban" decimal
from ES6 but it is not on the committee's agenda, and members do not
want to standardize it in a "hardcoded" fashion, so value types come
first, and may be the only extension relevant to decimal in ES6.