Why decimal?

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Wed Jun 24 12:13:44 PDT 2009

On Jun 24, 2009, at 12:08 PM, Christian Plesner Hansen wrote:

>> The second message in this thread, my first reply to your head-of-
>> thread
>> message, said:
>>
>> "Anyway, decimal is not being pushed into JS at this point. At the
>> last
>> face-to-face TC39 meeting, we changed direction to explore
>> generalizing
>> value type support (including operators and literals if we can) so
>> that
>> libraries could add first class number-like types."
>
> I am just as unsure of how to read that.  Does "at this point" mean
> that it's off the table altogether for harmony or only that it's been
> postponed until later in the process?

Why do you want a for-all-time declaration from me?

We can only focus on what's next. Our covenants the proscribe certain
features are few: no ES4-style namespaces (Common Lisp packages), nor
packages built on them.

If we standardize extensible value types and a decimal extension
becomes so popular it should be part of the normative core language
(as JSON is now, different kind of extension but same rationale for
making it part of the normative core), then why would we not include
decimal?