Why decimal?

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Wed Jun 24 11:34:39 PDT 2009

On Jun 24, 2009, at 9:58 AM, Christian Plesner Hansen wrote:

>> I have concluded that it's too late to "fix" anything by adding
>> decimal.
>> It's clearly to late to change the number type from binary to
>> decimal. So we
>> are going to let library authors cater to users, and get TC39 out
>> of this
>> hopeless business.
>
> Sorry for being slow but I'm a little unclear on what that means.
> Does it mean that you're not in favor of including decimal in harmony?

The second message in this thread, my first reply to your head-of-
thread message, said:

"Anyway, decimal is not being pushed into JS at this point. At the
last face-to-face TC39 meeting, we changed direction to explore
generalizing value type support (including operators and literals if
we can) so that libraries could add first class number-like types."

https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2009-June/009553.html