Why decimal?

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Wed Jun 24 08:21:21 PDT 2009

On Jun 24, 2009, at 8:16 AM, P T Withington wrote:

> On 2009-06-24, at 11:08EDT, Brendan Eich wrote:
>
>> Most users do not know and do not care about information theory
>> optimality, they just want sums and differences to "work".
>
> Don't most users really want rational numbers, plus a way to present
> them to a certain level of precision?

Could be, which is why we are pursuing value types with extensible
operators and literal notation.

I have concluded that it's too late to "fix" anything by adding
decimal. It's clearly to late to change the number type from binary to
decimal. So we are going to let library authors cater to users, and
get TC39 out of this hopeless business.