extension modules

kevin curtis kevinc1846 at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 23 13:21:49 PDT 2009

> We'll do our development, if we do it, of such a systems-programming dialect
> of JS, in the open and in open source, so everyone on this list who is
> interested can watch and participate. But it would be a distraction to
> overuse this list for discussions about such a dialect.

Sounds very cool. Server js people would like it!

> At some point we might have ESn remove
> ancient cruft so the horizontal arrows might stop pointing rightward.

A strong +1 for doing this in ES6. IMO ES5 gives developers a strong
backward compatible cross browser foundation for the short/medium
term. Thus, ES6 can risk a bit of backward compatibility - not sure
how the wider ES community feels.

> Why are you mixing the two still? As you note they conflict sometimes.

Security is non-negotiable. But the notes in the SES wiki do seem to
indicate scope for performance optimizations - and maybe efficient
machine code generation. e.g no/limited access to the global object,
immutable functions.  Though I don't know if that's a consideration
for the SES project.