Revisiting Decimal (generic algorithms)

Sam Ruby rubys at intertwingly.net
Sat Jan 31 05:11:09 PST 2009

Brendan Eich wrote:

> This variation preserves wrappers, so a Decimal converter function (when
> invoked) and constructor (via new, and to hold a .prototype home for
> methods). The committee plunks for more of this primitive/wrapper
> business, since we have wrappers and primitives for numbers and other
> types, and backward compatibility requires keeping them. Operators work
> mostly as implemented already by Sam (results here
> <http://intertwingly.net/blog/2008/08/27/ES-Decimal-Updates>, with some
> out-of-date results; notably typeof 1.1m should be "decimal" not
> "object" -- and not "number").

More up to date results can be found here:

http://intertwingly.net/stories/2008/09/20/estest.html

Which was discussed here:

https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2008-December/008316.html

> Sam and I are going to work on adapting Sam's SpiderMonkey
> implementation, along with our existing ES3.1-based JSON codec and
> trace-JITting code, to try this out. More details as we get into the work.
>
> Since the bug is about usability, we have to prototype and test on real
> users, ideally a significant number of users. We crave comments and
> ideas from es-discuss too, of course.

I'd like to highlight one thing: Mike and I agreed to "no visible
cohorts" with the full knowledge that it would be a significant
usability issue.  We did so in order to get decimal in 3.1. In the
context of Harmony, I feel that is is important that we fully factor in
usability concerns.  Prototyping and testing on real users, ideally with
a significant number of users, is an excellent way to proceed.

> /be

- Sam Ruby