Whether keywords should be allowed as names in function declarations

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Tue Jan 20 21:30:40 PST 2009

On Jan 20, 2009, at 8:26 PM, David-Sarah Hopwood wrote:

>>> - programs that rely on this change will fail to work on some ES3
>>>  implementations, when renaming the function would have been
>>> sufficient
>>>  to allow them to work (if there is no other reliance on ES3.1).
>>
>> This says the spec should not allow extensions that add
>> keyword-unreserving contexts. I'm sure you agree ;-).
>
> I didn't say that this was a sufficient cost by itself to preclude
> such
> extensions. In the case of allowing property names to be keywords, for
> instance, we have a greater benefit because both the definition (in
> object literals) and its use (in member expressions) can be allowed.

There's no way to quantify this greater benefit, at least as far as I
know. So it's more precise to say that there's no hazard of the kind
you pointed out where

function typeof(...) {...}
... typeof(x) ...

passes without error in old or new implementations (assuming keyword
function names are allowed).

The above could even be argued to be a feature for "upgrading" certain
keywords, provided they are unary operators always used (by
convention) with parenthesized operands! Again we have zero
quantification by which to conclude that this is less or greater a
benefit vs. cost. But it's a cost unique to the "keyword function"
approach, I agree. It does not come up with keywords as context-
qualified property names where the context is unambiguos for uses as
well as definitions.

So what do we really know?

- JS1.7 and JS1.8 have shipped without drawing bugzilla reports about
the problem you pointed out.
- On the other hand, it's not clear how useful keyword functions are
if so named only for pretty-printing or self-calling reasons -- again
no evidence has been gathered or quantified.
- We do know that hazard you cite is unique to the "keyword function"
proposal; it does not arise in the case of qualified property names in
object initialisers and dotted expressions.

Using 1 bit of estimation, rounding conservatively, it seems the
benefits and costs of a prototype implementation of keyword functions
are both 0, and the hazard-cost of keyword functions compared to
qualified keyword properties is 1.

So again I agree we should leave out keyword functions. I was hoping
to get further agreement on the 3.1 spec prohibiting keyword functions
even as an extension (in chapter 16, if it does not already prohibit
this kind of extension). This prohibition can be debated independently
of any concern about compatibility with existing browsers.

In any case what's in 3.1 seems good to keep, and I didn't mean to
question it. I hope you are not suggesting qualified keyword
properties be removed. More below on general compatibility arguments
against expressiveness extensions.

> Nevertheless, this *is* a significant compatibility/interoperability
> cost.
> IE7 doesn't appear to allow any keyword as a property name in either
> object literals or member expressions, for instance, so it will be a
> while before the ability to do this in ES3.1 is actually useful on the
> web [*].

That's true of a number of ES3.1 features that can't be emulated fully
or at all. It's true of any future Harmony extensions. It's inevitable
in my view, and the best we can do is to keep the standard alive and
evolving in usable utility, not over-minimizing pessimistically, with
web developers participating and pushing browser vendors for greater
use of new versions over time.

> That's a consideration for any extension, but more so for
> extensions that don't add any expressiveness to the language, and that
> a program could have avoided with a simple local renaming.

Expressiveness is worth something too. Weighing the trade-off against
short-term considerations is usually fatal to any longer-term progress.

We are not in this for the short-term, or there wouldn't be a new
version of IE in 2006 after none was planned following IE6 Service
Pack 1 in 2003, or a new version of ECMAScript in 2009. Five years
ago, before Firefox 1.0, these things seemed out of reach. Look how
far we've come since then. We should think ahead five years and build
on what has happened.

> [*] User adoption of new IE versions seems painfully slow:
>    <http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp>,

That's just one source, and it may not distinguish IE6 from fake-IE6
(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers, AVG
Linkscanner).

IE6 peaked in the high 80% share in 2002-2003 and fell to just above
20% at the end of last year. For many lead-user or highly monetized
sites, IE6's share is so low that the sites' web developers do not
support it. I know a lot of Enterprise use remains behind firewalls.
But five more years of web browser and advanced web content competion
will continue the trend of the last five years, and put IE6 out of our
misery -- probably sooner, maybe in two years.

>    The only way I see that improving is if Microsoft change
>    their browser upgrade policy.

Whether they do this or not, we should keep designing for the longer
term and not preemptively sacrifice expressiveness for short-term
compatibility, especially ersatz compatibility in the case of non-
syntactic extensions that add new semantics which cannot be emulated
on old browsers. Such ersatz compatibility can lead developers into
making a security hole where none existed.