obsoleting the "new" keyword

David-Sarah Hopwood david.hopwood at industrial-designers.co.uk
Tue Jan 20 11:06:37 PST 2009

Brendan Eich wrote:
> On Jan 20, 2009, at 12:06 AM, David-Sarah Hopwood wrote:
>
>> For it to be useful to define functions with names that are keywords,
>> it would also have to be possible to reference those names (preferably
>> in an arbitrary expression context, but in ES3.1 I don't see how they
>> could be referenced at all, except in obscure corner cases involving
>> the global object or 'with').
>
> Please see followups in this thread.

I don't see any relevant arguments in followups that would contradict the
position above. The nearest thing to a relevant argument is:

# The best real-world example is when implemening something in JS that has
# to match an interface across a language bridge with a reasonable method
# name such as 'delete'.

but I think that is only plausible for names of methods, i.e. properties;
not function declarations.

--
David-Sarah Hopwood