Bait taken: Arguments about arguments

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Thu Jan 15 12:03:01 PST 2009

On Jan 15, 2009, at 9:50 AM, Erik Arvidsson wrote:

> Sorry for being late to the party.
>
> Is there a reason why we need to restrict the argArray to apply this
> much? I think it would be very useful to allow anything array like
> here.

Please define "array like" and give examples (possibly including DOM
nodelists, which thanks to "live update" are are neither lists nor
arrays, rather more like cursors).

We had a structural type for it in ES4. ES3.1 has no such type system
or spec language. It's too late to add anything like this. But for
Harmony, proposing (possibly more than one) "array-like" notion that
could be used to extend the language is fair game.

/be

> --
> erik
>
> 2009/1/15 Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com>:
>> On Jan 14, 2009, at 9:16 PM, Mark S. Miller wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 7:08 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> When in doubt, use brute force. ES3 already did. Quoting from its
>>> spec for Function.prototype.apply:
>>> 15.3.4.3 Function.prototype.apply (thisArg, argArray)
>>> [...] Otherwise, if argArray is neither an array nor an arguments