ES3.1 Draft: 15 Jan 2009 "MountainView" version available

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Thu Jan 15 10:29:55 PST 2009

On Jan 15, 2009, at 9:43 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 18:40:29 +0100, Alex Russell
> <alex at dojotoolkit.org> wrote:
>> On Jan 15, 2009, at 7:25 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>>> FWIW, it seems there is a mismatch between the draft and what
>>> Internet Explorer 8 appears to be shipping or maybe I am
>>> misunderstanding something.
>>>
>>> http://annevankesteren.nl/2009/01/ie8-getters-setters
>>>
>>> That is, section 8.10.5 uses "get" and "set" as keywords where
>>> Internet Explorer 8 uses "getter" and "setter" according to its
>>> documentation.
>>>
>>> (Section 11.1.5 pretty much has to use "get" and "set" because of
>>> three shipping implementations.)
>>
>> ES3.1 isn't settled yet, but surely using the terminology from what
>> will be the next JS spec seems best...and in this case that's what
>> MSFT did, I think rightly. It is super annoying that they didn't
>> include the get/set aliases for compat, thought.
>
> Your comment confuses me, but it seems the MSDN documentation was
> wrong and IE8 will use "get" and "set" as per the latest draft, so
> all is fine.

Good to hear it's just a doc bug. Plus, IE8 is still in beta and can
be fixed.

Alex, you caved a bit prematurely to the putative market leader (IE8
needs to release and displace IE7 before it could claim that
title) :-/. We are not all working in Ecma TC39 on a spec just so a de-
facto standard different from it can be forced at the same time
through distribution. The only right[ly] thing would be to fix IE8 to
match the spec, if this had been a real code bug.