obsoleting the "new" keyword

Jeff Watkins watkins at apple.com
Wed Jan 14 11:34:36 PST 2009

Peter, our library makes extensive use of constructors without new as
a declarative way to build a class. Consider the example:

apple.EngravingGalleryController=
Class.create(coherent.ViewController, {

     tabs: coherent.ListView('div.tabs ul', {
                             selectedIndexBinding: 'selectedTab',
                             animated: 'true'
                         }),

});

Of course, you could also use coherent.ListView as a constructor to
create an explicit instance. Under the covers, the OOP mechanism
dispatches to a factory function which is used to ultimately create
the member.

This is a lot like the Python meta-programming stuff, except I don't
have an addToClass hook to use.