The JS onerror event and the ECMA Standard

Mike Shaver mike.shaver at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 08:08:11 PST 2009

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 7:42 AM, Michael Ratcliffe
<michael at ratcliffefamily.org> wrote:
> Are there any plans to make onerror part of the ECMA standard and, if so, is it possible
> for me to suggest adding an additional item that should be accessible from the onerror
> handler? I would suggest that a fourth parameter be passed to the onerror handler, which
> is the error object from the time the error is triggered. This would allow access to the
> call stack from within the handler and would be an invaluable in uncovering complex bugs.

No, window.onerror would be standardized by the W3C or WHATWG, since
it's not itself a language feature but rather a part of one embedding
context -- albeit a very popular one!  Standardizing call stack
representation could be in the scope of this group and the ECMA
process, if needed.

Mike