parseInt and implicit octal constants

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Fri Feb 20 15:26:41 PST 2009

2009/2/20 Allen Wirfs-Brock <Allen.Wirfs-Brock at microsoft.com>:
> The cop-out is to just leave it as it is.
>
> The safe decision is to mandate the current  de facto standard.
>
> The brave (ie, risky) decision for a better long term language is to
> disallow octal.

Given that Opera has survived the decision not to use octal, doesn't
this establish that this decision is adequately compatible with the
web? Opera folk, do you have any data (anecdotal would be fine) of how
much breakage you encounter because of this decision?

If the Opera experience says the risk is acceptably low, I vote to
disallow octal.

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM