The global object in browsers

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Wed Feb 18 03:57:44 PST 2009

On Feb 17, 2009, at 11:18 PM, Mark Miller wrote:

> You misunderstood me a bit, but no matter.

Sorry, I couldn't see how to interpret your proposal otherwise. Let me
know what I missed if you like.

Maciej's right, the object identities practically dictate split
windows. I suppose the original DOM level 0 could have made the split
explicit, but it was not implemented this way at all back in the day.
Different browser implementors solved the security and performance
problems in similar ways, to preserve the view of the persistent
window container as the one true "window object", really a proxy with
multiple global objects hidden within it.

The ability to "use lexical scope" (however the syntax turns out) and
make the global variables truly lexical bindings in a top-level
environment, not properties of some grotty object, is something I look
forward to in Harmony:

http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:lexical_scope