The global object in browsers

Mark Miller erights at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 17:18:21 PST 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 5:03 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> Indeed, I noted this earlier. The behavior HTML5 codifies is the behavior
> that the majority of browser vendors have asked me to codify.

Majority, huh? Which vendors? How does the behavior they ask for correlate
with what their browsers do?

At ECMAScript, the committee has representatives from the main browsers.
ECMA works on consensus, not majority, so we get to codify only what all the
players agree on. This discipline has repeatedly saved us from standardizing
something unnecessarily complex. Cross-browser legacy is generally assumed
to be constrained only by what the main browsers agree on (though there are
exceptions), giving us some room to clean up areas where existing browser
behaviors differ.

--

   Cheers,
   --MarkM