The global object in browsers

Mark Miller erights at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 16:52:32 PST 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> Here are some demos. 001 is a control test. If it says "false", you have a
> violation of ES, and are likely incompatible with legacy content. If it
> says "true", then test 002. If 002 says "false", then ES is being violated
> in some way. If 002 doesn't say anything, then code is being blocked when
> the global object doesn't match the current document; Mozilla, Apple, and
> Opera have all told me not to do that for performance reasons. If it says
> false, then test 005 -- if that says true before and false after, then the
> browser is probably incompatible with legacy content.
>
>   http://damowmow.com/playground/demos/global-object/001.html
>   http://damowmow.com/playground/demos/global-object/002.html
>   http://damowmow.com/playground/demos/global-object/005.html

FF = Firefox 3.0.6
WK = WebKit nightly for Safari Version 3.2.1 (5525.27.1)
CR = Chrome 1.0.154.48
OP = Opera 9.62
IE = IE 6.0.2900

T = true
F = false
B = apparently blocked, since nothing happened

(view in a fixed width font)

     test 1    test 2 before after   test 5 before after
FF     T                T      B              T      B
WK     T                T      F              T      T
CR     T                T      T              T      B
OP     T                T      T              T      F
IE     T                T      B              F      B

Since cross-browser legacy content must work across this range of behaviors,
it seems there is not any one legacy behavior to codify.

Nice tests!

--

   Cheers,
   --MarkM