The global object in browsers

Mark Miller erights at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 14:48:12 PST 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> Now, if the other page's script calls f() and g(), it will get different
> results (2 and 1 respectively, if I didn't screw up the example code).
>
> For HTML5, this behaviour has been defined in more detail. The global
> object is a Window object. This object is per-Document. The object
> returned by the "window" attribute on that global object is actually a
> WindowProxy object, which forwards everything to the "current" Window
> object.

What do you mean by "current"? Are you proposing to legitimize the dynamic
scoping behavior demonstrated by your example?

If all major browsers agree on this bizarre behavior, we will indeed be
stuck. But if some existing browsers use lexical capture (i.e., return 1 in
both cases), then ES-Harmony should feel free to specify that. What do each
of the major browsers do?

   Cheers,
   --MarkM