[caplet] Am I paranoid enough?

Mike Samuel mikesamuel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 15:38:41 PST 2009

2009/2/16 David-Sarah Hopwood <david.hopwood at industrial-designers.co.uk>

> Suppose that S is a Unicode string in which each character matches
> ValidChar below, not containing the subsequences "<!", "</" or "]]>", and
> not containing ("&" followed by a character not matching AmpFollower).
> S encodes a syntactically correct ES3 or ES3.1 source text chosen by
> an attacker.
>
> ValidChar :: one of
> '\u0009' '\u000A' '\u000D' // TAB, LF, CR
> [\u0020-\u007E]
> [\u00A0-\u00AC]
> [\u00AE-\u05FF]
> [\u0604-\u06DC]
> [\u06DE-\u070E]
> [\u0710-\u17B3]
> [\u17B6-\u200A]
> [\u2010-\u2027]
> [\u202F-\u205F]
> [\u2070-\uD7FF]

So no surrogates?

> [\uE000-\uFDCF]
> [\uFDF0-\uFEFE]
> [\uFF00-\uFFEF]

Why include FFEF?

> AmpFollower :: one of
> '=' '(' '+' '-' '!' '~' '"' '/' [0-9]
> '\u0027' '\u005C' '\u0020' '\u0009' '\u000A' \u000D'
> // single quote, backslash, space, TAB, LF, CR
>
> (ValidChar excludes format control characters, and some other
> characters known to be mishandled by browsers. AmpFollower is
> intended to exclude characters that can start an entity reference.)
>
> S is inserted between "<script>" and "</script>" in a place where a
> <script> tag is allowed in an otherwise valid HTML document, or
> between "<script><![CDATA[" and "]]></script>" in a place where a
> <script> tag is allowed in an otherwise valid XHTML document.
> The HTML or XHTML document starts with a correct <!DOCTYPE or
> <?xml declaration respectively, and is encoded as well-formed
> UTF-8.
>
> Are these restrictions sufficient to ensure that the embedded
> script is interpreted as it would have been if referenced from
> an external file, foiling any attempts of browsers to collude
> with the attacker in misparsing it?

You may still be subject to encoding attacks.  I'm sure there are
valid scripts that look like UTF-7, so if the script appears in the
first 1024B, you might need to make sure it's preceded by a <meta>
element specifying an encoding, and/or use the XML prologue form that
specifies an encoding.