Improving ECMAScript as a compilation target

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Fri Feb 13 11:33:48 PST 2009

On Feb 13, 2009, at 11:23 AM, Brendan Eich wrote:

>> Tail calls is another feature I think benefit both especially as
>> interest in functional languages is rising
>> strongly.
>
> I happen to agree, but these already foundered during ES4 development.

More recently, Waldemar objected to lambdas due to their completion-
value being a hazard. Suggestions to fix this involve adding explicit
"result-here" syntax. But people on the committee agreed that lambdas
as proposed in the wiki were "good for code generators". So usability
concerns can and do trump utility to compilers.

My dessert-topping/floor-wax point was that we may create a monster
trying to satisfy both parties, e.g. with lambdas. We could certainly
take a long time arguing in committee. So discussion focused on
avoiding such conflicts would be best (if there is a way to avoid such
conflicts).