Improving ECMAScript as a compilation target

Peter Michaux petermichaux at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 11:10:22 PST 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:

> JS is used by many more programmers, amateur and pro, than C. It has to have
> better human factors than C. That goes against being a good code generator
> target language.

I think that may not be true in all cases. methodMissing is an example
where both groups could benefit. Tail calls is another feature I think
benefit both especially as interest in functional languages is rising
strongly.

When weighing the pros and cons of a proposed feature, knowing that
putting "helps compilers" in the pros column is considered acceptable
is important. Does "helps compilers" carry any weight at all with the
committee? If it does then there is no need for anyone to dance around
it for fear of being called a distractor or disruptively off topic.
They can just say it as part of an acceptable discussion.

Peter