Improving ECMAScript as a compilation target

David-Sarah Hopwood david.hopwood at industrial-designers.co.uk
Fri Feb 13 07:45:51 PST 2009

Brendan Eich wrote:
> On Feb 12, 2009, at 9:41 PM, Peter Michaux wrote:
>
>> If a "common language for hand-coders and code-generators" is
>> desirable, isn't it necessary to consider the code-generator part?

Yes.

> I didn't agree that such a desert-topping/floor-wax was desirable.

Almost all programming languages are used as code generation targets,
and that is a perfectly reasonable way of using them that should be
considered as part of language design, including the design of ES-Harmony.

It is too late to consider significant changes to ES3.1 supporting its
use as a code generation target.

--
David-Sarah Hopwood ⚥