Improving ECMAScript as a compilation target

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Thu Feb 12 21:33:55 PST 2009

On Feb 12, 2009, at 9:17 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:

> The JVM bytecode is a counter-example and we are not going to
> standardize anything like it in the near term (next few years).

I meant by "counter-example" an example of what not to do. Same goes
for SWF ABC (used by Flash), which Adobe does not want to freeze and
standardize. These bytecode forms require verification, bind to VM
designs (or just bad old stack machine and typed operand thinking),
bring in unwanted patent concerns, and terminate in nothing
standardizable.

What's more, how many years (over 10?) has it been waiting for
invokedynamic, from a single vendor who didn't need to gain multi-
vendor standards-body consensus? Again if method_missing floats your
boat, you have solutions (native for some browsers, translated for the
rest), but bytecode is not any part of a solution for better language
features. It's more an impediment.