assignment to eval in strict code

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Thu Feb 12 10:54:35 PST 2009

I wouldn't worry about feature creep in terms of strict mode
forbidding certain identifiers in unambiguous grammatical positions.
Some implementations already have to work harder if arguments is the
left-hand side of assignment within a function. Such parser tweaks are
also easier to get right that the complicated mix of static and
runtime checking required to implement eval and arguments in ES3 today.

Feature creep would be adding any more methods to Object, e.g.
(although IIRC there's a case to be made by Allen for
Object.hashcode ;-)).

More on an eval issue that I misremembered at the January meeting in a
separate post. It and things like it we don't know about are the
bigger threats to schedule than the strict mode refinements that
amount to making certain identifiers reserved.

/be