[[Class]] and host objects

Allen Wirfs-Brock Allen.Wirfs-Brock at microsoft.com
Tue Feb 10 16:47:09 PST 2009

Mark Miller said:  We can get the effect of specifying such indistinguishability simply by specifying that host objects may have as their [[Class]] property "Object", or any string not otherwise used by the spec as a [[Class]] value.

I generally agree, but I have two "what about's" that actually go in different directions from each other.

#1 What about "Function" in addition to "Object"? It seems reasonable to have host objects that are functions in addition host objects that are objects. (Counter-argument: slippery slope)

#2 Why allow "Object" for  host objects that are required to conform to the section 15.3 specification for Object. If they are distinguishable from section 15.3 objects they should have [[Class]]=="Object".  An implementation can use "HostObject" or something else. (Counter-argument: Might confuse some programmers??? (seems weak))

Allen