[[Class]] and host objects

Mark Miller erights at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 16:21:20 PST 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:

> I'm against such ontological confusion :-P.

Me too!

> [...] I'm not sure how the spec would even talk about such implementations,
> other than by doing what Allen said and requiring indistinguishability from
> native Array objects. [...]

Agreed on all points. But we can state this more simply. If an object is not
observably distinguishable from a native Array object, then it simply *is* a
native Array object. It is not a host object. A spec can only traffic in
observably distinguishable differences. We can get the effect of specifying
such indistinguishability simply by specifying that host objects may have as
their [[Class]] property "Object", or any string not otherwise used by the
spec as a [[Class]] value.

   Cheers,
   --MarkM