any update on catchalls for harmony?

Faisal Vali faisalv at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 3 09:04:34 PST 2009

Greetings.
            First of all, thank you for making this forum public -
some of these discussions have been quite informative. (I wish some of
the other standards' bodies would make their discussions/emails public
- *nudge* c++-iso-std-reflector ;)

Well, let me get right to the topic.

Since catchalls/interceptors (method/prop_missing) and hooks
(method/prop_added, object_inherited) are an important reason for the
success (and natural syntax) of at least one of the more popular
server-side-web-programming frameworks  (specifically rails'
implementation of ActiveRecord), I was wondering what the level of
interest is in implementing such features in harmony.

I know Peter Michaux had a nice suggestion regarding catchalls in one
of the posts late last year - but I haven't seen any followup or
further mention of such features.

Although, I will say that I have partially filled that void by finding
some comfort in the efforts devoted to trying to get lambda right for
a possible macro system ;)

regards,
Faisal Vali
Radiation Oncology