Static Array and String Generics and Host Objects (ATTN IE Team)

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Wed Dec 23 20:13:52 PST 2009

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 1:30 PM, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Dec 4, 2009, at 1:48 PM, Garrett Smith wrote:
> >
> >> Static Array and String Generics was an ES4 proposal[0], and is
> >> implemented in Mozilla JavaScript 1.6[1].
> >>
> >> What are the plans for including Array and String Generics in future
> >> revision of ES?
> >
> > I'm curious about this as well. We've had some requests to add these to
> > JavaScriptCore. I'd like to know if they were explicitly rejected from
> > standard ECMAScript, or might be considered for further ECMAScript
> editions.
> >
> > Would the ECMAScript standards community advise that we implement these
> in
> > WebKit or hold off?
> >
> Mozilla js engine is the only one that implements static Array
> generics that I know of.
>
> If webkit implements Array generics, then they will likely become
> standard. You might consider posting a thread on c.l.js to get more
> feedback from javascript programmers about static Array generics.
>
> You might also consider the arguments of Allen and weigh them against
> the other arguments (mine), and make a decision.
>
> Allen believes they will be the source of confusion. Mark Miller
> believes the added complexity is not worth the convenience provided.
> My arguments are that they can make the code simpler and clearer.

I should add that I am not strongly opposed to static generics, provided
their semantics is exactly related to the corresponding non-static generic
in the proposed manner in all cases, except omitted for Function as
previously discussed. If this regularity is strictly adhered to, then the
psychological added complexity is O(1) rather than O(number of generics). I
am unaware of any desired irregularities, so I don't expect this to be a
problem.

> Garrett

   Cheers,
   --MarkM