Alternative to Mozilla's eval in a scope

Andy Chu andy at chubot.org
Sun Dec 13 22:37:21 PST 2009

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 10:23 PM,  <ihab.awad at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Andy Chu <andy at chubot.org> wrote:
>> If Caja has already done something along these lines then awesome --
>> I'm just asking if there is discussion about standardizing such a
>> thing.
>
> Kris Kowal coined the term "hermetic eval" to describe what you are
> talking about.

Well I fully support that then, except I don't know exactly what is
proposed : )  I see some stuff in your slides
http://docs.google.com/present/view?hl=en&id=dcd8d5dk_0cs639jg8 but no
definition of hermeticEval.

Found this thread but not much discussion:
https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2009-September/010009.html

http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:modules

>> You could implement a module system on top of that ...
>
> That's the idea. :)

I like what Kris said in that thread, that just having hermetic eval
is the important part.  It's mechanism vs. policy -- a module system
has a ton of policy, but hermetic eval is the mechanism.

I just want to implement a simple "plugin" system.  This is very much
like modules but distinct in that there is no "require" -- you don't
have the capability to import other modules.

So I think there can be many variations of usage for hermetic eval and
it shouldn't be tied to a module system.

thanks,
Andy