[[HasOwnProperty]]

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Sat Dec 12 14:18:39 PST 2009

Garrett Smith wrote:
> [[HasOwnProperty]] is mentioned in one place in the spec: s 15.4.4.11
> Array.prototype.sort (comparefn).
>
> There is no mention of [[HasOwnProperty]] anywhere else.
>
> I also see a [[GetOwnProperty]] definition in Table 8 and a definition
> for "own property" (s. 4.3.30).
>
> Is there a difference between [[HasOwnProperty]] and "own property"?
> If not, then one or the other should be used. If so, then
> [[HasOwnProperty]] should be defined somewhere in the spec.

Array.prototype.sort should have been defined in terms of
[[GetOwnProperty]]. That is, the text in 15.4.4.11 should be

# • The result of calling the [[GetOwnProperty]] internal method of
#   proto with argument ToString(j) is not *undefined*.

(Incidentally, I don't see any errata for the published standard at
<http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=es3.1:es3.1_proposal_working_draft>.)