Catch-all proposal based on proxies

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Thu Dec 10 22:06:48 PST 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 9:58 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

>>   Object.prototype.hasOwnProperty.call(d, name)
>>

> I'm a little less confident of the latter than the former. However, Google
> Code Search finds a number of hits for Object.prototype.hasOwnProperty.call
> that appear to be operating on potentially arbitrary objects and property
> names. At least some of the JavaScript code in question looked like it might
> be actually deployed on the Web.
>

>> Google Code Search sees this pattern appearing in a number of places, some
> of which are JavaScript libraries (though others seem like code bases that
> could feasibly be updated):
>

> http://www.google.com/codesearch?q=Object.prototype.propertyIsEnumerable.call&hl=en&btnG=Search+Code

Thanks for reminding me to use that tool!

Constraining the searches to javascript,

http://www.google.com/codesearch?hl=en&lr=&q=Object.prototype.propertyIsEnumerable.call+lang:javascript&sbtn=Search

shows 85 results whereas

http://www.google.com/codesearch?hl=en&lr=&q=Object.prototype.hasOwnProperty.call+lang:javascript&sbtn=Search

has 263. I will proceed to worry only about hasOwnProperty until someone
objects.

--
   Cheers,
   --MarkM