Catch-all proposal based on proxies

Mike Samuel mikesamuel at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 09:57:39 PST 2009

Actually, I think if iterators are desired, proxies may be a good way.
 Code below shows a problem where having an object delete it's own
property means hard choices have to be made over when to throw an
exception.  Proxies are fundamentally lazier and so dodge this issue:

var myIterator = iterator(function () {
  var i = 0;
  return function () {
    if (i === 10) throw STOP_ITERATION;
    return i++; };
  }());

while ('next' in myIterator) { alert(myIterator.next); }

var STOP_ITERATION = {};

function iterator(producer) {
  var produced, pending;
  function fetch() {
    if (produced) { return; }
    try {
      pending = producer();
    } catch (e) {
      if (e !== STOP_ITERATION) { throw e; }
      return;
    }
    produced = true;
  }
  fetch();
  if (!produced) { return {}; }
  var it = {
    get next() {
      var result = pending;
      pending = void 0;
      produced = false;
      try {
        fetch(); // throws too early?
      } finally {
        if (!produced) { delete it.next; }  // throws if frozen losing result
      }
      return result;
    }
  };
  return it;
}

2009/12/10 Mike Samuel <mikesamuel at gmail.com>:
> [...]
>> (has, keys, enumerate) we provide (prop, keyProducer) where
>> prop(property) -> one of (undefined, OWN, INHERITED), and keyProducer
>> returns a function, that each time it's called returns a string
>> property name or undefined to signal no-more.  Of course, trying to
>> freeze an object that returns a key name multiple times is hard to
>> define, but returning an array has the same problem.
>>
>> If there is a lazy key mechanism then iterators can be implemented as proxies
>>    function iterator(producer) {
>>      var pending, produced = false;
>>      function fetch() {
>>        if (produced) { return; }
>>        try {
>>          pending = producer(); produced = true;
>>        } catch (e) {
>>          if (e !== NO_MORE_ELEMENTS) { throw e; }
>>        }
>>      }
>>      return Proxy.create({
>>          get: function (property) {
>>            if ('next' === property) {
>>              fetch();
>>              var result = pending;
>>              pending, produced = void 0, false;
>>            }
>>          },
>>         has: function (property) {
>>           return 'next' === property && (fetch(), produced);
>>         },
>>         keyProducer: function () {
>>           return function () { return fetch(), produced ? 'next' : void 0;
>>         }
>>       });
>>    }
>> This doesn't solve generators, since the pausing semantics of yield
>> can't be easily implemented on top of proxies.
>
> Actually, a getter that can delete its own next property is all you
> need for iterators.
>
> function iterator(producer) {
>  var pending, produced;
>  fetch();
>  if (!produced) { return {}; }
>  var it = {
>    get next() {
>      var result = pending;
>      try {
>        pending = producer();
>        produced = true;
>      } catch (e) {
>        if (e !== STOP_ITERATION) { throw e; }
>        delete it.next;
>      }
>      return result;
>    }
>  };
>  return it;
> }
>
> for (var it = iterator(x), item; 'next' in it;) {
>  item = it.next;
> }

>>> We did think about it, but it seemed needlessly less flexible. If such
>>> flat-and-delegate handling is desired, an abstraction can be built on top of
>>> ours that emulates it as a convenience. The reverse emulation seems
>>> difficult at best.

>>> Since the undefined may be the result of a bug as you say, it seems worse
>>> for the bug to silently result in fixing the proxy into an empty frozen
>>> object. We think the current "noisy" behavior better supports defensive
>>> programming.

>>> In answer,
>>> <http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:proxies#an_identity-preserving_membrane>
>>> preserves === correspondence on each side of a membrane. Now that we have a
>>> concrete catchall proposal adequate to build membranes, we'd like to restart
>>> our discussions with Mozilla (JetPack, etc) about whether you could rebuild
>>> some of your C++ membranes in JS code using these primitives. We should
>>> follow up offlist.

>>> To avoid some "climbing meta ladder" issues, we purposely distinguish
>>> between what we consider base-level operations, such as x.foo, and
>>> meta-level operations, such as Object.getOwnProperty(x, 'foo'). We attempt
>>> to be as fully transparent (leak free) as reasonably possible at
>>> virtualizing base level operations. We attempt to be fully non-transparent
>>> (leak like a firehose) to meta-level operations. Some of our classification
>>> may seem weird: Object.prototype.toString() is meta-level. It can be used to
>>> reveal that an object is a trapping proxy. Object.getOwnPropertyNames() is
>>> meta-level. Object.keys() is base level.
>>> The properties of === that we feel need to be preserved:
>>> 1) "x === y" does not cause any user code to run.
>>> 2) "x === y" neither gives x access to y nor vice versa.