Catch-all proposal based on proxies

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Wed Dec 9 21:00:56 PST 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 6:21 PM, Mark S. Miller <erights at google.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Mike Samuel <mikesamuel at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I.e. this allows implementing Mozilla style wrappers in user-space.
>> With the exception that mozilla's wrappers support ===, but by
>> combining this with a weak reference table mapping wrapped objects to
>> wrappers, you could preserve EQ as far as a piece of code that never
>> gets a handle to a wrapped DOM node is concerned.
>

> As shown by Tom Van Cutsem and I at
> <http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:proxies#an_identity-preserving_membrane>.

I have now split that example in a simpler expository example membrane
at <http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:proxies#a_simple_membrane>
that does not preserve identity, but that should be read first, and an
elaboration of our identity preserving membrane, still at
<http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:proxies#an_identity-preserving_membrane>
with a bug fixed and with both wrapping and unwrapping logic that
makes it into a practical membrane.

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM