Should we move our test suites to ecmascript.org?

Allen Wirfs-Brock Allen.Wirfs-Brock at microsoft.com
Tue Dec 8 15:43:00 PST 2009

I believe that there are still IPR policy issues that need to be worked through before any test suite development that is affiliated with ECMA/T39 could accept contributions from organizations or individuals who do not have an ECMA membership affiliation.  An advantage of the current google/codeplex/mozilla projects, is that they don't have this restriction. While ecmascript.org is not exactly officially associated with ECMA/TC-39 it is close enough that I don't think we should try to host a test suite project there until we resolve the IPR issues.

I don't particularly see why TC39 would want to go to the trouble of building and supporting a "foundry". It's enough trouble to do what is necessary to setup and manage individual project without having to be responsible for all the underlying infrastructure. I personally think that both the google code and codeplex hosting environments are fine and future work could be done using either foundry (or another that isn't tainted by a vender affiliation, if this continues to be a concern).

My sense is that both Google and Microsoft has taken the necessary steps to ensure that the projects we initiated can be very open. However, I also think that they both may suffer from a perception that they aren't. Note that I'm a "committer" on the sputnik project and Christian Plesner Hansen of Google and Rob Sayre of Mozilla are "coordinators" on the ES5conform codeplex project. However, I don't think any of us have exercised any of the associated privileges other than for our "own" projects.

I think the biggest issues that we need to resolve to move forward are about project planning, coordination, and process. What needs to be done.  How should it be done.  Who is going to commit to doing to the individual tasks?  I've informally suggested a couple time that maybe we need to have an open planning "summit" do work these things out.  I still think it would be a good idea.

Allen