Should we move our test suites to ecmascript.org?

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Tue Dec 8 14:10:27 PST 2009

On Dec 8, 2009, at 2:03 PM, Christian Plesner Hansen wrote:

> Sorry, I missed Mark's original message.
>
> Who maintains *.ecmascript.org?

I do with help from others (David-Sarah has helped fix up the trac,
for example).

>  If we can expect it to be reliable I
> would have no problem moving development of the sputnik test suite
> there.  Actually I would be prepared to move as soon as we can agree
> on what structure we want.  One small issue is how to review code
> changes.  Sputnik already uses a "third-party" tool (as in it's
> developed by google but not an integrated part of code.google.com) and
> for now we could continue to use that, just from a different base
> repository.

Can you mail me about what is required to host Sputnik and this tool,
in detail? Thanks.

> As for merging sputnik with es5conform and the subset of the mozilla
> tests that reflect the spec I see no reason why we couldn't do that,
> other than the work it would take to merge the heterogeneous
> frameworks.

This is a lot of work, so the best way to do it is according to a plan
we all agree with, but almost ceratinly not with any "big bang"
integration. Just lots of patches. The separate tests will have their
own integrity and greater self-consistency for a while. If we get a
single unified suite, we'll know when it is "ready".