Catch-all proposal based on proxies

Mike Wilson mikewse at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 8 10:35:40 PST 2009

I certainly see the logic in your proposal, but I am uncertain whether the
obj-proxy split is what the world wants, and what kind of up-take it would
get among script authors? My impression is that the success of existing
catch-all mechanisms is partly due to their perceived simplicity. The
proposed design adds extra verbocity and handling for authors, needing to
coordinate two different objects (of different type) instead of one that has
been augmented, and to be careful about who has what reference.

A somewhat related example of the "world's choice" is how third-party
byte-code patching techniques have become the default choice in the Java
community, instead of the standard Java proxies (java.lang.reflect.Proxy),
which is a similar construct to the one proposed.

Or are you seeing openings for syntactic sugar up the road, with classes
etc?

Best regards
Mike Wilson

Tom Van Cutsem wrote:

Dear all,

Over the past few weeks, MarkM and myself have been working on a proposal
for catch-alls for ES-Harmony based on proxies. I just uploaded a strawman
proposal to the wiki:

http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:proxies

Any feedback is more than welcome. Note that the proposal is quite lengthy,
which is mostly due to the fact that it also includes a detailed semantic
specification of proxies (in ES5-spec-style) in addition to just its API
description. If you're not interested in the specification details, you can
skip the section named "Semantics".

Cheers,
Tom