AST in JSON format

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Mon Dec 7 18:31:21 PST 2009

On Dec 7, 2009, at 11:16 AM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2009, at 10:11 AM, Brendan Eich wrote:
>
>> [snip...] Compression at the transport (session, whatever, the
>> model is climbing the traditional layering) is a separate issue.
>
> Given the above, do you think there is a valid case to be made for a
> serialization format other than JavaScript source itself?

No, I do not. I've cooled on the idea since last talking about it on
this list.

But as Mark pointed out in reply (sorry, I've been off-net all day and
am only now catching up) a JsonML AST encoding standard would help
certain programs. Narcissus could be a lot faster if it could call a
standard method to parse its source into such a JSON object tree and
then execute that, for example (almost all profiled time running
Narcissus is in its lexer and parser).