AST in JSON format

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Mon Dec 7 08:56:08 PST 2009

I could see a potential use case for a format that was more compact
and/or faster to parse down to an executable form than JS source.
However, for size the fair comparison should probably be to JS source
that has been run through a source-to-source minimizer/compressor, and
with both run through gzip. I seriously doubt any text-based AST
format will do better under these conditions.

I also note that your compact form no longer seems very useful for
direct manipulation of the AST, so presumably the use case would be
different.

If we really want to minimize size for delivery and parsing speed,
then probably some sort binary format with built-in compression would
be most useful, though there would be risk presented in properly
validating such a format.

Actually, this is potentially a factor for any natively supported AST
format. If execution is direct rather than via transoformation to JS
source, the implementation would have to verify that the AST is one
that could be created by parsing JS source.

Regards,
Maciej