Addition of a global namespace function?

Mark A. Ziesemer online at mark.ziesemer.com
Fri Dec 4 10:15:33 PST 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Irakli Gozalishvili <rfobic at gmail.com> wrote:
> besides mozilla has much better solution for solving the problem you're
> trying to solve and it has been there since 3.0 AFAR.
> It's called modules.
> https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Using_JavaScript_code_modules
> BTW as you are interested in Mozilla you might be interested in the fact
> that they are considering to implement some of the specs from commonjs for
> the jetpacks. Besides mozilla bespin's plugin infrastructure is also going
> to be fully based on commonjs packages and the work already in progress.
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Labs/Jetpack/JEP/29
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Labs/Bespin/StatusMeetings/2009-11-11

This is all great, but as far as I can tell, nothing above is
currently usable on the web.  (But I see the below...)

> Back to the browser implementations here is:
> one from me which is really simple and doesn't claims to be something
> special, it serves well my needs so far:
> http://github.com/Gozala/experiments/tree/experimental/commonjs/
> And here is the more complicated one by sproutcore:
> http://github.com/sproutit/tiki
> There is aslo some implementations for xulrunner:
> one from me and another from Atul Varma (Mozillian)

This is probably the most promising alternative I've seen so far.  I
would have lots of questions around this, including how many of the
concerns previously discussed here are addressed by this
implementation.

Like I was proposing with the namespace function, I think that
"require.js" would need to become "available by default" and as a
standard for it to be utilized like it probably should - but still
available for backporting (as with the Array extras, etc.) for the
browsers and other implementations that don't yet have built-in
support.

However, I'm content to let the rest of the community continue this
discussion.  This quickly became much more of a involved discussion
than I expected / had hoped for.

--
Mark A. Ziesemer
www.ziesemer.com