more JSON spec questions

Allen Wirfs-Brock Allen.Wirfs-Brock at microsoft.com
Wed Aug 26 23:03:16 PDT 2009

At this point it's hard to say whether or not the exact handling of this specific edge case was intentional or not.  However, it isn't obvious that this behavior is any worse or better than the possible alternatives so I don't think we have a strong case for changing it.  Particularly, since it has been specified this way for in drafts for quite a while.

We're about a year past json2.js serving as the reference implementation for the ES5 JSON spec. (although I believe Crock has done some json2.js updates to track the ES5 spec.)  There are some things in the current algorithms that just can't be easily accomplished in pure ES3 code.

Allen